Translate

Saturday 29 November 2014

Doing good feels good


Doing good will make you feel good.

“Good actions give strength to ourselves and inspire good actions in others.”
 - Plato

You’ll feel good and you’ll get what you did to others. Doing good things will always bring good things to you.

“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
 - Winston Churchill

Smile when you give, it will change a lot of things inside you. Give with a good heart and without any means to get anything back.

When I say don’t think about getting anything back, I do mean it. If you expect something to come back, it won’t. Sorry, but giving without expecting anything back, it means without expecting anything back. Now you’ll say, how can I know if this is working if I don’t look out for what shall come back. If you need to know, then you haven’t done it without expecting anything back.

This is simple, but a lot of people don’t believe in this and just don’t trust it to work. So they end up destroying anything good they’re doing because they expect it to come back.

Here’s a news I found on www.huffingtonpost.com

*******

An unidentified man is being hailed as a hero for rushing into a burning building in Fresno, Calif., to rescue a senior citizen who was trapped inside.
“As I got out of the car, this woman came up with this baby and said, ‘My dad is in there! My dad is in there!’ I didn’t know what to do. I felt so helpless," Beth Lederach, who recorded the footage of the successful rescue, told the Fresno Bee.
Lederach said the hero seemed to come from nowhere.
He just calmly walked right in there and then came walking right back out with this guy," Lederach told the newspaper.
The video shows the man walk into the smoke and flames. At one point, a crash or explosion sends other would-be rescuers fleeing, but not the hero, who emerges from the blaze with the 73-year-old man draped over his shoulder.
Little is known about the rescuer except that he seems to be a Dodgers fan, at least based on his cap. ABC News reports that he was checked out at a local hospital after the rescue. But then, he seems to have vanished.
The man who was rescued, Robert Wells, told KFSN-TV that he was connected to an oxygen tank and had difficulty escaping the fire. He said two people tried to help him, to no avail.
"I wasn't going fast enough, so a guy picked me up and carried me out there. He was kind of in a half a run," said Wells, who was treated for smoke inhalation. "Thank you from the bottom of my heart, that I made it out."
*******

That story is an extreme example of giving without expecting anything in return.

Here’s another nice story I found.

*******

Doing Good for Others, Does Good for You

I slipped through the revolving door of the office building I worked in and stepped onto the cracked sidewalk that lined Broad Street in Newark, New Jersey. A light drizzle and a depressing grey sky enhanced the depravity of the area. The buildings on both sides of the street were old and in need of repair or, in some instances, a wrecking ball.

A few seconds later, a woman wearing a coat four sizes too big for her - probably a throw away from the used clothing store down the street - stepped up to me, displayed a smile of many gaps and begged, "Mister, can you help a person out? I haven't eaten in almost two days."

I handed her a few quarters and watched her saunter off. She held her hand out as she walked and counted the change she'd collected on that dreary afternoon. I guessed food was the furthest thing from her mind - crack was more her line of nutrition.

That area and most of Newark were poverty stricken and ruled by drugs and crime.In the few short months I worked there, I'd witnessed a stolen car, pursued by police, turn a corner and hit another car head on. The thieves leapt from the wreckage and ran off with the police in hot pursuit. A month after that, a man's car was stolen from the parking lot behind our building while he negotiated the fee with the attendant. This was a place where you held your belongings tightly and didn't venture far after dark.

I walked to the corner, stopped by the door of the ATM machine, checked to be sure no one followed close and quickly slipped my bank card into the slot. There was a buzz and click as the door unlocked. I walked inside and made sure no one stepped in behind me.

I put my card into the machine and deposited my paycheck with a sigh of relief. As I turned to leave, I saw a wallet sitting on the counter. It sat next to a pen on a chain so thin a kitten could have snapped it. The wallet was brown, well used and contained three dollars, a driver's license, two credit cards, a bank card and a work permit from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. The name on the license was one I would not attempt to pronounce, but whoever he was, he was going to be in a panic over a wallet with his identification on it being lost in this city.

I put it in my pocket, walked to Penn Station and took the train home to Jersey City. In my apartment, I checked the online phone book and found no one to match the name on the cards in the wallet. I wanted to help the guy. If it had been my wallet, I would have been sick to my stomach with worry. I picked up the bank card and had a thought. On the back was the number to his bank.

"Thank you for calling Wachovia Bank. My name is Cindy, how may I help you?" "Hi, Cindy. I found a man's wallet at one of your bank machines today and am trying to track down the owner to return it to him."

"That's very nice of you sir. Can you give me the number on the card please?" I gave her the number. "Sir, that card has been reported stolen."

"I'm sure it has, but what he did was leave it on the shelf in the room where the ATM is. Can you give me his phone number? I want to arrange to meet with him to return his wallet."

"I'm sorry, sir, but we cannot give out the personal information of our clients."

"I understand. Can I give you my contact information? You could call him and tell him who I am."

"I can certainly do that, Sir."

I gave her my information and hung up.

I'd done all I could.

Two days later, a very thankful gentleman appeared at our front desk and received his belongings. He never dreamed he would see his wallet again, not one left at a bank machine in Newark.

Me?

I smiled all day long.  Doing good for others, does good for you.
~ Michael T. Smith ~
Copyright © 2012
<heartsandhumor@gmail.com>
*******

When you do something without any expectation on getting anything back, you don’t feel the need to know if anything will come back to you. And it will come back.

The good felling of doing it is what a lot of people will take as the return in doing it, but it’s only a part of what’s coming back. In the Wicca they have a rule of three. It means that what ever you send outside will come back to you three times. What this means, is that you’ll get back more then what you give away. It doesn’t mean you’ll get it back right away. It means that it will come back. If you do something with an egocentric mind, then you’ll get people treating you as that. Egocentric will do things for other because they expect to get back more.

Don’t be egocentric and give away without expecting anything more then the good feeling of doing it.

No comments: